Home / News / Washington Free Beacon / Trump’s Defense Budget Seeks Boost to Missile Defense Amid North Korea Threat

Trump’s Defense Budget Seeks Boost to Missile Defense Amid North Korea Threat

President Donald Trump's $686 billion defense budget for 2019 would increase missile defense spending by more than 25 percent over the Pentagon's 2018 request, underscoring the administration's concern about North Korea's expanding ballistic missile and nuclear programs.

The Pentagon on Monday proposed to allocate $12.9 billion to the country's overall missile defense, including about $9.9 billion for the Missile Defense Agency. The figure is $2 billion more than MDA's previous request.

Pentagon Comptroller David Norquist told reporters the budget request reflects calls in the National Defense Strategy to focus investments on "layered missile defense and disruptive capabilities" to defend against theater missile threats and the ballistic missile threat from Pyongyang.

North Korea claimed in November it had successfully launched an intercontinental ballistic missile, or ICBM, capable of striking anywhere on the U.S. mainland, adding urgency to calls by defense officials to repair cracks in the nation's missile defense system.

The United States today relies on ground-based interceptors in Alaska and California along with a floating sea-based radar system to detect and destroy missiles headed toward the homeland, but both are limited in operability.

The 2019 budget calls for an increase to the number of missile interceptors from 44 to 64, with the 20 new interceptors to be based in Alaska, but the ground-based system is unreliable. The interceptors have failed to hit their target in 50 percent of tests.

The Pentagon also requested funding for the Army's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) and the Navy's sea-based Aegis system. Though the Aegis radar has proved successful in tests, it was designed primarily to defend against short-range targets and has only been tested once against an intermediate-range target.

The budget also urges greater investment in research for programs to defend against hypersonic weapons recently tested by China and Russia.

Air Force Gen. Paul Selva, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said last month the United States has forgone its "technical advantage in hypersonics."

The post Trump’s Defense Budget Seeks Boost to Missile Defense Amid North Korea Threat appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Original Article

Check Also

Pompeo ‘Confident’ U.S. Can Work With European Allies to Pressure Iran

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday said he is confident the United States can develop a common approach with European leaders to deal with Iran. A reporter at a State Department press briefing referenced Pompeo's speech on Monday about the unprecedented financial pressure that he wanted the United States to put on Iran. He then mentioned Pompeo's critics and said that they believe that the Europeans won't go along with him on the sanctions. "What do you say to those critics? How do you get the Europeans to go along, and then others like China or Russia, who continue to abide by the agreement?" the reporter asked. "It's really straightforward. This is a global challenge I mentioned in my remarks yesterday," Pompeo said. "This is a shared threat across the world and I am confident that we can collectively develop a diplomatic response that achieves the simple outcomes that we put forward. We wouldn't tolerate Iceland doing what the Iranians are doing. We wouldn't tolerate Chad doing what the Iranians — I could just pick a number. I'm sort of tripping through the alphabet." Pompeo went on to say that if somebody created an equivalent of Hezbollah, the United States and European allies wouldn't sit by and let them carry on operations. "Russia and China don't see that as a positive impact around the world either, so I'm confident that there's a set of overlapping values and interests here that will drive us to the same conclusion about the need to respond to the Islamic Republic of Iran’s threats to the world," Pompeo said. The post Pompeo ‘Confident’ U.S. Can Work With European Allies to Pressure Iran appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *