Home / News / Washington Free Beacon / Pompeo: ‘I’m Not a Betting Man’ But We’ll Be Prepared for June 12 Meeting With North Korea

Pompeo: ‘I’m Not a Betting Man’ But We’ll Be Prepared for June 12 Meeting With North Korea

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. was still working toward having a June 12 summit with North Korea over its nuclear program, on the same day the White House signaled the meeting may not take place.

President Donald Trump said in the Oval Office Tuesday there was a "very substantial chance" the meeting between him and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un may not take place on its scheduled date and place of June 12 in Singapore. The Trump administration is pursuing full denuclearization by the country's rogue regime and has signaled it will provide and security and prosperity in exchange.

"We will do what it takes to make sure that this is a successful meeting," Pompeo told reporters at the State Department.

He added he was not a "betting man" and would only predict the U.S. would be ready if the summit did occur. Pompeo, who has met with Kim and helped secure the release of three American prisoners earlier this month, said he had gotten the sense that North Korea would benefit from American investments.

"I do have a real sense that [Kim] would find American investment, American technology, American know-how of real value to his people, and it's something that he and I had a chance to speak about generally, and I do think it's something that if we get this right and we get denuclearization right, that America would be quite capable of delivering them with lots of things that would make life better for the North Korean people," he said.

Like Trump, Pompeo cautioned the meeting may not take place.

"We are working to make sure that there's a common understanding about the contents of what will be discussed, but I'm optimistic, but again, this could be something that comes right to the end, and it doesn't happen," Pompeo said. "As the president, said, we'll see."

He demurred when asked about potentially delaying the meeting and what issues, logistical or otherwise, might cause it to be delayed.

"We're still working towards June 12," he said.

The post Pompeo: ‘I’m Not a Betting Man’ But We’ll Be Prepared for June 12 Meeting With North Korea appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Original Article

Check Also

CNN Contributor Defends Outburst Against Sarah Huckabee Sanders: ‘As a Reporter My Job Is to Comfort the Afflicted’

Playboy White House correspondent and CNN contributor Brian Karem defended his Thursday outburst against Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders while on CNN's "Reliable Sources" Sunday. In that outburst, Karem asked Sanders if she had any empathy for children and accused the Trump administration of throwing them "in cages." "You're a parent! Don't you have any empathy? Come on, Sarah, you're a parent!" he said. "Don't you have any empathy for what these people are going through? They have less than you do. Sarah, come on, seriously. Seriously." Sanders told Karem to "settle down," and said "Brian, I know you want to get some more TV time, but that's not what this is about." "Reliable Sources" host Brian Stelter asked Karem if he regretted losing his cool. "Brian, I have an apology to make," Karem started. "I apologize to every human being who's had to suffer who has less than I do and I did not come to the table sooner. I'm sorry to those people for waiting so long and holding my temper." "I'm extremely angry with this administration that has lied to me, continues to lie to me," he said. Karem said he had forgotten that the job of reporters is to "comfort the afflicted." "I'm sorry as a reporter that for so long I thought the idea was to, I was struggling so hard to do my job I forgot my job is to comfort the afflicted, afflict the comfortable, and ask questions for those who have no voice," he said. Stelter said he respected what Karem was said he came off as a caricature to people who think journalists are trying to make it all about themselves. The Playboy reporter said that argument was not legitimate. "We've been playing by the old rules for so long that we forgot where we are with this administration," he said. The post CNN Contributor Defends Outburst Against Sarah Huckabee Sanders: ‘As a Reporter My Job Is to Comfort the Afflicted’ appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *