Home / News (page 4)

News

The Real Bitter Clinger Is Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton stated the obvious about the 2016 election while speaking Sunday at Yale University: "I'm not over it." In addition to airing out her grievances about losing to Donald Trump in her bestseller What Happened, Clinton has joked about moving to New Zealand in the election's aftermath, called for the elimination of the Electoral College, said the election's legitimacy is questionable—after previously saying such talk was outlandish—and boasted about winning the forward-thinking parts of the country that produce the majority of the U.S. gross domestic product. She says she gets overwhelmed at least a dozen times per day and goes "a little bit batty" when she hears Trump talk about how hard being in the White House is. She's continually blamed James Comey, sexism, voter suppression, the Russians, the media's coverage of her private email scandal, and married white women voting against her under pressure from their husbands and bosses. She's mused over and over about whether she should have called Trump a "creep" during their town hall debate, and she said his campaign was about appealing to flyover states where people don't like women and blacks getting ahead, infuriating red-state Democrats. So, Clinton didn't have to say she's not over it. She's made that quite clear. The post The Real Bitter Clinger Is Hillary Clinton appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Read More »

Prurock: Southern Names, Sexist Wollstonecraft, and a History of Ireland

You remember Edmund Burke’s condescending and sexist response to poor Mary Wollstonecraft’s measured and rational defense of the French Revolution, right? Well, of course not, because it was other way around—Wollstonecraft responding to Burke (of course), and Wollstonecraft presenting the establishment argument (most British initially supported the Revolution) in sexist …

Read More »

Progressive Nebraska House Candidate Advocates Assault Weapons Ban, Buyback Program

Democratic House candidate Kara Eastman said Monday that a gun buyback program would be "great" as part of larger gun control overhaul. MSNBC host Katy Tur asked inquired about the assault weapons ban Eastman supports, leading Eastman to tout "common-sense gun safety regulation." Tur pressed her to answer what should be done about assault weapons specifically, and Eastman said she would support a buyback program. "What do you think of the assault weapons already out there. Would you want them to be turned in?" Tur asked. "I think if we could create some sort of buyback program, that would be great," Eastman answered. Eastman also said "our children are being braver than policy makers," and she suggested legislating universal background checks. "I think that our children are being braver than policy makers when it comes the these issues. There are some low hanging fruit when it comes to common-sense gun safety regulation," Eastman said. "We need to acknowledge there are responsible gun owners out there but we also need to keep guns out of the hands of people who are going to use them in the wrong way." Eastman narrowly beat former Rep. Brad Ashford, who enjoyed the support of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. During her appearance on "Meet the Press Daily," Eastman also discussed abortion, which she supports without any restrictions. National Republican Congressional Committee spokesman Jack Pandol said Eastman is "too radical" for Nebraska. "Even Democrats agree Kara Eastman is just too radical for Nebraska. This troubling answer is the latest example of why we can’t afford Kara and her extreme agenda," Pandol said. Eastman is running against Republican Rep. Don Bacon, who ran unopposed in his party primary. The post Progressive Nebraska House Candidate Advocates Assault Weapons Ban, Buyback Program appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Read More »

Son of Boston Police Captain Pleads Guilty to Terrorism Charges

The 25-year-old son of a Boston police captain pleaded guilty on Monday to planning terrorist attacks in support of ISIS on U.S. targets to cause mass casualties. Alexander Ciccolo, also known as Ali Al Amriki, of Adams, Mass., pleaded guilty to two counts of terrorism, including one count of attempting to provide material support to ISIS and one count of attempting to use weapons of mass destruction, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Ciccolo also pleaded guilty to being a convicted person in possession of firearms and assaulting a nurse with a deadly weapon. Ciccolo planned to set off improvised explosive devices including pressure cookers filled with black powder, nails, ball bearings, and glass in several locations including a university cafeteria where large numbers of people congregate. According to the DOJ, Ciccolo purchased a pressure cooker and several partially constructed Molotov cocktails were found when his apartment was searched. The devices contained motor oil and possible shredded Styrofoam which Ciccolo indicated would cause fire from the exploded devices to stick to people's skin and make it harder to put the fire out. "Homegrown violent extremists pose a serious danger to innocent Americans," said Assistant Attorney General John Demers in a statement. "Not only did Ciccolo admit to supporting ISIS, but he also collected weapons and explosives in order to further its goal: the murder of Americans." Ciccolo was arrested in July 2015 after he received four guns he ordered from a person cooperating with the FBI. His father, Boston Police Captain Robert Ciccolo, according to Boston CBS news, tipped off law enforcement authorities after his son indicated he wanted to join ISIS. "Even though he was born and raised in Massachusetts, Alexander Ciccolo swore allegiance to ISIS and planned to kill innocent civilians in the United States on ISIS's behalf," said U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling of the U.S. District of Massachusetts. "Fortunately, someone who knew Ciccolo alerted law enforcement, and the Western Massachusetts Joint Terrorist Task Force was able to stop Ciccolo before he tried to kill anyone." Lelling indicated that the threat of homegrown terrorism continues. "There are a few lessons here: the threat of ‘homegrown' radicalization and terror continues, and we are safest when we work together to spot and contain these threats," said Lelling. Ciccolo faces 20 years in prison and a lifetime of supervised release. The post Son of Boston Police Captain Pleads Guilty to Terrorism Charges appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Read More »

Progressive Nebraska House Candidate on If There Should Be Limits on Abortion: ‘Women Should Have the Right to Choose’

Kara Eastman, the progressive Democratic candidate that won the party primary last week in Nebraska, said Monday she did not support any federal restrictions on abortion. Eastman appeared on MSNBC's "Meet the Press Daily" to discuss several issues, including gun control, immigration, and abortion. She did not endorse any restrictions to abortion at all when Tur asked her directly. "On abortion, should there be any limits on abortion?" host Katy Tur asked. "I do not believe that the federal government should tell women what to do with their bodies," Eastman replied. "I think women are capable of making those decisions. Those are really hard decisions to make, but they should be made between a healthcare provider, a woman's family, and her faith. We should leave it to women to decide because women should have the right to choose." Eastman's narrow victory over former Rep. Brad Ashford, who was backed by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, was a notable upset against the Democratic establishment. Ashford supports some restrictions on abortion while Eastman does not, and Eastman also supports a single-payer healthcare plan, which entails the government paying for abortions. Jack Pandol, a spokesperson for the National Republican Congressional Committee, slammed Eastman by saying that Democrats even believe that she is "too radical" for Nebraska. "Even Democrats agree Kara Eastman is just too radical for Nebraska. This troubling answer is the latest example of why we can’t afford Kara and her extreme agenda," Pandol said. Eastman will face first-term Republican Rep. Don Bacon, who ran unopposed in his party primary. The post Progressive Nebraska House Candidate on If There Should Be Limits on Abortion: ‘Women Should Have the Right to Choose’ appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Read More »

McCarthy Denials About Replacing Ryan Don’t Hold Up

THE WEEKLY STANDARD has published two stories in recent days about efforts by House majority leader Kevin McCarthy to replace Paul Ryan as speaker of the House before the November elections. McCarthy and his team have denied the claims and personally attacked our reporters.Our response: THE WEEKLY STANDARD stands by …

Read More »

Conyers’ Son Tossed From Ballot After He Failed to Aquire Enough Valid Signatures

The son and handpicked successor of former Rep. John Conyers (D., Mich.) failed to qualify for the ballot in the Democratic congressional primary race to succeed his father, who resigned in December amid multiple allegations of sexual misconduct from former staffers. That decision to toss John Conyers III from the primary ballot came after a fellow candidate and relative, state Sen. Ian Conyers of Detroit, challenged his signatures. The office of Wayne County Clerk Cathy Garrett determined John Conyers III had not in fact obtained enough valid signatures, causing the candidate to file a request for reconsideration on Friday. John Conyers III claimed Garrett's staff had improperly invalidated certain signatures on his nomination petitions, the Detroit News reports. Garrett, also a Democrat, accepted her staff's recommendation that she reject the petition. Ian Conyers, former Rep. John Conyers' great nephew, said the challenge helps "ensure compliance with the spirit and letter of the law." John Conyers III filed an appeal of Garrett's decision Monday afternoon. The winner of the Aug. 7 primary is of particular importance because no Republican is running in the race, and therefore, no serious challenger to the Democratic candidate is expected in the November primary. Conyers, the 88-year-old former congressman and civil rights leader, paid a former female staffer over $27,000 in 2015 to settle a complaint. The settlement required the staffer sign a confidentiality agreement, but a BuzzFeed report revealed affidavits of former staffers who said they witnessed Conyers touching female staffers in an inappropriate manner. Within weeks of the allegations, the embattled congressmen announced his resignation and that he was endorsing his son to fill his seat. "I have a great family here and especially in my oldest boy, John Conyers III, who incidentally I endorse to replace me in my seat in Congress, so we're all working together to make this country a better one," he said. Following Conyers' endorsement, questions were raised about his son's past, which included him being arrested in 2017 on suspicion of domestic violence. Prosecutors ultimately decided it "could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the victim’s injury was not accidentally sustained" and declined to bring charges. The post Conyers’ Son Tossed From Ballot After He Failed to Aquire Enough Valid Signatures appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.

Read More »

The Killa in Manila

In the days before local elections in the Philippines in early May, the government of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte released a list of 200 neighborhood officials involved in the drug trade. It is not a list anyone would want to wind up on. Duterte came to power in a landslide …

Read More »